Join the Transnet Freight Rail Trainee Train Assistant Programme
If you are a recent graduate with a passion for the railway industry, the Transnet Freight Rail (TFR) Trainee Train Assistant Programme is an excellent opportunity for you to kickstart your career.
This programme aims to train and develop skilled train assistants who will play a crucial role in ensuring the safe and efficient transportation of freight and passengers.
About the Trainee Train Assistant Programme
The Trainee Train Assistant Programme is a unique opportunity to work with experienced professionals in the railway industry.
As a trainee, you will undergo theoretical and practical training to become a certified Train Assistant.
You will be responsible for assisting the Train Driver in driving and handling different types of trains, ensuring that freight and cargo reach their destinations on time and in good condition.
- Location: Beaufort West, Gauteng
- Grade Level: SSTFT
- Reference Number: 50019653
- Duration: 12 months
To be considered for the Trainee Train Assistant Programme, you must meet the following criteria:
- Grade 12 with pure Mathematics and/or Physical Science
- Be at least 1.6 meters tall
- Have psychomotor ability (assessed through Vienna Testing System – VTS standard)
- Ability to carry heavy objects
- Be willing to work shifts
Responsibilities and Duties
As a Trainee Train Assistant, you will be expected to:
- Sign on duty at the designated work place and perform allocated duties during the shift.
- Prepare locomotives and communication equipment for the journey.
- Perform pre-trip checks to ensure roadworthiness and compliance with safety standards.
- Assist in shunting activities in sidings and en route as per directives for safe working procedures.
- Support the Train Driver during the journey to ensure safe and predictable service.
- Comply with safety standards and instructions to stay motivated and competent.
- Provide accurate feedback to the Train Driver regarding incidents and deviations along the route.
- Assist with various administration duties and maintain the Train journal.
Competencies and Skills
Throughout the programme, you will develop and showcase the following competencies and skills:
- Knowledge of various communication systems, locomotive classes, equipment, and routes.
- Understanding of train working rules, yard, and siding layout.
- Familiarity with TFR policies, shunting procedures, and health and safety regulations.
- Skills in locomotive handling, preparation, and coupling/uncoupling.
- Effective time management, stress handling, and problem-solving abilities.
- Strong communication, judgment, and reasoning skills.
- Psychomotor skills, including reactions, coordination, and spatial awareness.
How to Apply
To apply for the Trainee Train Assistant Programme, follow these steps:
- Register on the Transnet Internet Careers section.
- Complete all required details on your profile.
- Apply for the Trainee Train Assistant position using the provided reference number.
Ensure that your application reaches HR before the closing date on 4th August 2023.
Don’t miss this opportunity to become a part of the railway industry and contribute to the efficient transportation of goods and passengers.
Apply now and embark on a rewarding career journey with Transnet Freight Rail!