South African National Blood Service (SANBS) Blood Bank Technologist Traineeship 2023/24 in South Africa
Are you passionate about making a difference in people’s lives through healthcare?
The South African National Blood Service (SANBS) offers an exciting opportunity as a Trainee Blood Bank Technologist. Join their team and contribute to the essential work of blood testing and transfusion services.
Here’s what you need to know about this role and the responsibilities it entails.
As a Trainee Blood Bank Technologist at SANBS, you will undergo a comprehensive training program aimed at equipping you with the necessary skills and knowledge to excel in the field.
The training objectives include:
- Completing an 8-week technical training program.
- Building a Portfolio of Evidence (POE) to showcase your practical skills.
- Engaging in a practical program within the Blood Bank environment.
- Successfully completing the Board Exam.
During your training and beyond, you will be responsible for various operational tasks related to blood banking.
These objectives include:
- Performing operational functions, both manual and automated, following Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and within specified timeframes.
- Receiving blood and blood product requisitions.
- Conducting compatibility testing, including emergency, routine, type screen, and hold cases.
- Issuing blood and blood products to patients.
- Conducting secondary testing such as problem cross matches, postnatal investigations, and preliminary transfusion reaction investigations.
- Managing blood stock levels, reporting expired units, and receiving new stock.
- Accurate documentation and data entry.
- Ensuring proper waste disposal according to SOPs.
- Ordering and receiving necessary stock from Waste Disposal Service Providers.
- Managing medical waste containers and labeling them correctly.
- Collecting and discarding outdated samples.
- Maintaining waste tracking documents and records.
- Instrument and Laboratory Maintenance.
- Performing daily cleaning of work areas, cold rooms, fridges, freezers, and equipment.
- Monitoring and reporting equipment defects.
- Monitoring and recording temperature data for blood storage equipment.
- Upholding Quality and Risk Objectives.
- Ensuring equipment is in working order and complying with SOP criteria.
- Adhering to standards, policies, and safety requirements.
- Contributing to continuous quality improvement and remaining up-to-date with industry developments.
- Assisting the BB Supervisor with assigned risk tasks.
- Prioritizing Customer Relations.
- Documenting customer complaints, compliments, and queries for further action.
- Interacting professionally and courteously with internal and external customers.
- General Functions.
- Assisting with miscellaneous routine laboratory tasks and other duties as required.
- Attending meetings to stay informed and contribute to the efficient operation of the laboratory.
Qualifications and Requirements
To qualify for the Trainee Blood Bank Technologist position at SANBS, you need to meet the following criteria:
- Education: UoT Trained Biomedical Technologist.
- Experience: No prior experience required.
- Other Skills: Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and Outlook. Understanding of relevant legislation and knowledge of company procedures.
Join SANBS for a Rewarding Career
By becoming a Trainee Blood Bank Technologist at the South African National Blood Service, you will play a vital role in ensuring the availability of safe blood and blood products for patients in need.
Through their comprehensive training program and commitment to excellence, SANBS offers an exciting opportunity to make a difference in the healthcare sector.
Apply today and embark on a fulfilling career in blood banking.