Start Your Career Journey as a Trainee Safety and Environmental Officer
Are you passionate about safety, the environment, and making a positive impact?
Join the South African National Blood Service (SANBS) as a Trainee Safety and Environmental Officer in Mpumalanga.
This is your chance to learn, grow, and contribute to creating a safer and more sustainable future.
Explore the details of this role and discover how you can make a difference.
As a Trainee Safety and Environmental Officer, you will play a crucial role in ensuring safety, occupational hygiene, and environmental standards are met within the Business Zone.
Your responsibilities will encompass various aspects of safety and environmental management, waste control, and risk assessment.
Duties & Responsibilities:
In this role, you’ll engage in a range of tasks that contribute to a safer and more environmentally friendly work environment. Your duties will include:
- Coordinating Safety Activities: Effectively manage safety activities within the zone, build relationships across all levels of the company, and provide support to staff to ensure proper implementation of safety systems.
- Emergency Preparedness and Response: Facilitate emergency preparedness plans and responses, ensuring that staff is well-prepared to handle emergencies.
- Waste Management: Monitor waste streams, manage waste tracking and traceability, and ensure compliance with waste management systems.
- Occupational Hygiene: Monitor and measure various stressors within the zone, including noise levels, thermal stress, hazardous chemical exposures, and more.
- Continuous Improvement: Contribute to continuous improvement practices by reviewing processes, participating in corrective and preventive action monitoring, and conducting inspections and site meetings.
- Employee Learning and Growth: Provide training, guidance, and support to staff and zone management in various safety, health, and environmental aspects.
- Business Planning and Administrative Functions: Provide input for business planning, monitor safety and environment registrations and permits, and ensure effective communication with staff on SOPs and policy changes.
Desired Experience & Qualification:
If you’re interested in this role, here’s what we’re looking for:
- Diploma/Degree in Safety Management, Environmental Health/Science, or equivalent qualification.
- SAMTRAC/SHEMTRAC will be advantageous.
- Registration with a SHE professional body will be beneficial.
Experience and Knowledge:
- 1-2 years of experience as a SHE Representative in SANBS.
- Familiarity with medical/laboratory field is advantageous.
- Computer literacy.
- Driver’s License.
Other Knowledge and Skills:
- Understanding of safety, health, and environmental legislation, including the OHS Act and National Environmental Management Act.
- Knowledge of SA National Standards relevant to SHE.
- Working knowledge of Company Health, Safety, and Environment Procedures.
- Experience in developing and implementing behavior-based safety programs.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and SAP.
Why Join SANBS:
SANBS is committed to creating a safer and healthier environment.
By joining us, you contribute to this mission and play a pivotal role in shaping a secure workplace and sustainable practices.
If you’re ready to embark on a journey of learning, growth, and positive change, this Trainee Safety and Environmental Officer role is your opportunity.
Apply now to be part of a dedicated team working towards a safer, healthier, and more sustainable future.
Your contribution matters, and your journey starts here!